Tuesday, May 19, 2015

The Hidden Truth Behind Boldness



When running into the terms ¨Shyness¨ and ¨Boldness,¨ people´s concern turns to shyness. That is one of the most common threads among people, because of all the information we can find about it. But, what about bold people? Why don´t we take a moment to think of the factors that take place in that behavior?

First of all, bold people are not always as happy as they seem. Sometimes, that bold attitude is just a cover they use for not to show how they´re really feeling. In many cases I´ve seen that these kind of people have many problems with their families, they have been bullyed since they were little, and for some reasons, they feel rejected by others.

I´ve had the opportunity to work with adolescents, and the cases I´ve had to deal with concerning this topic are amazing. Most of the adolescents I´ve met, that claim to be out going, are suffering.

I had this particular case of a young lady who was known as the most popular girl at school. One day  she came into the teacher´s lounge looking for me, because she needed to talk. When I asked her what the matter was, she told me that she couldn´t handle it anymore. I asked her to tell me what was happening because I wasn´t understanding, and she started crying.

When she was finally able to gasp for some air, she began to talk. She said that everyone thought she was the coolest person in all high school, but she wasn´t. She said that the reason why she was always ¨happy,¨ was because she needed something to cope with the stress she was expossed to at home. That girl started to talk to me about the difficulties she was going through with her parents. Her parents were getting divorced, and she didn´t know why they weren´t even thinking of how that decision would affect her.

Since I had that talk with that girl in the teacher´s lounge, I started to worry even more about bold people, and whenever I saw that kind of behavior in one of my students, I tried to get close to them to see if that attitude was motivated by good things and not for negative ones. 

 Virginia Mateo. 

No comments:

Post a Comment