Monday, December 5, 2016

Expression: How Dare you vs How Dare you do

I know that dare is a semi-modal verb. I just don't know when to use it like a modal auxiliary verb and when to use it like a normal verb. Given the following examples: How dare you ... How do you dare ... Is it only up to the speaker as to which one to use? Or does it depend on the circumstances? share improve this question asked. If you are issuing this statement as a warning or confrontation then the only acceptable formulation is How dare you For example: "How dare you go behind my back and talk to my boss without telling me." How do you dare is asking a question- essentially How is it possible that you dare to ... For example: "How do you dare do that? Aren't you afraid you'll burn your hand?"

No comments:

Post a Comment