Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Results from smoking cigarettes




     Since I was a little kid, I remember how my father enjoyed smoking. That irked me. I didn´t understand (I still don´t) what pleasure could he find sucking the cigarette butt, inhaling that nasty smoke and later throwing it out. Whenever he was starting to smoke, at that moment, I tried to stay aside from him. I always respeted him, but not his addiction for cigarettes. Although I never asked him how or when he started to smoke, I certaintly felt curiosity about what was so pleasant about that addiction.

     A particular moment comes to my mind and every time I remember it, I can´t avoid laughing. It happens that one of those occations when he was about to light a cigarette, I wrongly made a comment that really annoyed him to the point that I felt afraid of being punished. I told him ¨If the day arrives that I could have my own house I certainly will place a sign out of the door which will say -Smokers are not allowed. ¨ He just looked into my eyes and said ´´that´s right, first you have to have yours because in mine I do whatever I want. ´´ He really hurt me with those words but finally I accepted that maybe he was right because that was his house.

     Many years passed and the strong man that I knew, started to breath with diffculty and cough very frequently. He started to feel tired so easily. One day, he dicided to go to the doctor and what scared him turned to be true. He had lung cancer. In fact, the desease had affected even his throat. The news was shocking. The whole family was saddened. I can tell -that was the worst year of my life. Watching him being consumed by the desease. His body that once had big muscles seemed to shrank day by day. He fought fiercely against that evil desease but at the end it was too much for him. His lungs seemed like a bizarre mass of petroleum.



I guess that all addictions are harmful but I could certaintly ensure that smoking is among the worst. And I still continue without understanding what is the fun in doing something that is completey wrong!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Nice piece! Try to check the word"butt" because it does not add up in that context!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My friend, Sorry to contradict you but I can certanly affirm that this particular word can be applied in this context.

    ReplyDelete