Thursday, June 20, 2013

Learning New Words

Here they are with examples

1. All- consuming

  •  Using the Internet has become my all- consuming hobby.
  •  It was an all-consuming job. I didn´t have to study or either go to church. I became a workaholic.

2. Cold turkey
  • Although it has been really hard, I have been really good about the no overusing the Internet- just stopped cold turkey.
3. Crave
  • I was craving french fries, so I pulled into the  nearest fast food restaurant.
  • Although my father quit drinking alcohol, he still craves to have a glass of it every morning.
4. Cut down on
  • My mother has told me more than three times to cut down on the amount of hours I spend watching television.
  • Doctor advised her to cut down on the amount of saturated fats in her diet.
5. Detrimental
  • Most people all around the world know drinking alcohol is detrimental to one´s health. It causes high blood pressure, heart disease and heart failure.
6. Drag myself away
  • I will bring Mary, if I can drag her away from her home. She does not like the idea about going out at all.
7. Hook on
  • I got hooked on overusing the Internet. I use it for than fifteen hours a day. I am a netaholic.
8. Lose track of time
  • It is very easy to lose track of time when you are having fun with your friends. Hours pass by so quit that you even know what time it is.
9. Turn into
  • Our holiday turned in a nightmare.
10. Willpower
  • I have been trying to stop using my blackberry, but I have no willpower to do so.
11. Withdrawal
  • She experienced symptoms of nicotine withdrawal after she quit smoking.

No comments:

Post a Comment