Thursday, June 13, 2013

Internet Addiction

I am so happy to know that I am part of this blog. Now, I can share information with all my friends and teacher from this summer class. I want to start by posting a paragraph about Internet Addiction. I hope you can read and enjoy it. I know we can talk about it in class as well.

Here it is.

Internet Addiction Guide

By John M. Grohol, Psy.D.
May 27, 1999, Last updated: October 26, 2012


Do some people have problems with spending too much time online? Sure they do. Some people also spend too much time reading, watching television, and working, and ignore family, friendships, and social activities. But do we have TV addiction disorder, book addiction, and work addiction being suggested as legitimate mental disorders in the same category as schizophrenia and depression? I think not. It's the tendency of some mental health professionals and researchers to want to label everything they see as potentially harmful with a new diagnostic category. Unfortunately, this causes more harm than it helps people. (The road to "discovering" IAD is filled with many logical fallacies, not the least of which is the confusion between cause and effect.)


If you want to keep reading about it, please click on the following link below where this information was taken from.

http://psychcentral.com/netaddiction/





No comments:

Post a Comment