Monday, December 10, 2012

WISH.

A) Wishing about the present.

When we want things to be different from what they are, we make a wish. Often, the things we wish for are impossible or improbable at the time of speaking. When we make these kinds of wishes, we use verbs in a special way.

Present situation                                                                           wish for the present.

The air is polluted.                                                                    I wish the air weren´t polluted.

We can´t drink the water in many of our lakes.                          I wish we could drink the water in our lakes.

People don´t care enough about the environment.                      Roxanne wishes people cared more about
                                                                                                the environment.

( were is used with all the persons and pronouns)

B) Wishing about the past.

We sometimes wish that things had been different in the past. We often wish about the past to express personal regrets or criticisms.


Past situation                                                                              Wish about the past.

I studied French in the U.S.                                                   I wish I had studied it in France.

I couldn´t speak French  when I went to France.                    I wish I had been able to speak french
                                                                                            when I went to France.

I couldn´t go along.                                                               I wish  could have gone.

C) Wishing about the future

We often wish for things to be different in the future.

Present situtation.                                                                        Wish about the future.

He´s not going to help me in the kitchen.                                I wish he would help me in the kitchen.

He won´t do the dishes.                                                         I wish he would do the dishes.

He says he can´t stop smoking.                                              I wish he could stop smoking.

No comments:

Post a Comment