Monday, December 10, 2012

Adjustment : get used to and be used to.

Adjustment:  Get used to and Be used to.

1) Get used to +  ing verb.

It is used when talking about adjusting to changes in our lives.

Example: If you have to be at school by 8: 00 a. m. , you will get used to getting up early in the morning.

Get used to can be used in any tense.

I am getting used to living in New York. (`present progressive)

I have gotten used to living in New York. (present perfect)

I got used to living in New York. ( simple past)

Get used to can be followed by a gerund, a noun  phrase, or a pronoun.

I got used to hearing loud music

I got used to loud music at night.

I got used to it. 

Get used to is used when talking about the process of adjusting to a change.

2)  Be used to + verb ing is used when the adjustment has taken place.

however , I have been working here for several months, and I am used to it now. It doesn´t bother me anymore.

Used to + infinitve verb.

Used to + base form can be used to express the same idea that something happened habitually in the past and is no longer going on.

Affirmative.

When I was in school , I used to get up at 6: 00 a. m.

Negative.

I didn´t use to eat breakfast

Interrogative.

Did you use to eat lunch? yes, I did.




No comments:

Post a Comment