Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Grammar: WISH statements ¨´´Expressing Unreality´´

-Use the verb WISH when you want to express unreality. A desire for reality to be different or a regret that  it was not different...

When you have Present and Future WISH: Use WISH + WOULD or COULD.

Example:        Can you speak Mandarin?
                      -No, but I WISH I COULD.
                     
                      Will it snow next monday?
                      -No, but I WISH it WOULD snow.

                     
                                                          Present WISH: WISH+Past form of the verb.

Example.         Do you smoke too much?
                      -Yes, but I WISH I DIDN´T smoke so much.
                     
             
                                                         Present WISH: (Verb To BE) -When you have Verb TO BE use WERE.....

Example:         Are you still buying everything you see in the stores?
                       -Yes, but I WISH I WEREN´T buying everything I see.

                       Are you giving up smoking?
                       -No, but I WISH I WERE giving up smoking.

                                               
                                                  Past WISHES: Use WISH + HAD +Past Participle.

Example:         Did they know that the Internet could be addictive?    
                       -No, but they wish they had known.
                      Were you hooked on Football as a teen?
                       -Yes, and I WISH I HADN´T BEEN hooked on Football.
                      Has she been in Constanza?
                       -No, but she WISHES she HAD BEEN.


                                          Past WISHES: COULD: WISH +COULD HAVE + Past Participle.

Example:        Could you finish your homework before midnight yesterday?
                      -No, but I WISH I COULD HAVE finished before midnight.



                            
   


No comments:

Post a Comment