Thursday, September 1, 2016

If I had known... I wish I had known...

Study those examples;

Last month  Enrique was in Paris for a few days, Raquel didn't know this information, so he was trying to call her. They met a few days ago. Raquel said:

If I had known you were in Paris , I wouldn't have called you
(This tell us that he didn't know where she was.)


We use If+had ('d) talk about the past (If I had KNOWN/DONE...)

If he had been looking  when he was going, he wouldn't have walked into the wall.



Compare:

I'm not hungry. If I was hungry, I would eat something. (now)

I wasn't hungry. If I'd been hungry, I would have eaten something. (past)



Do not use would in the If-part of sentence. We use would in the other part of the sentence

If I had seen you, I would have said hello (NOT If would have seen you)

note; That 'd can be would or had



Wish 


You can say 'I wish you luck/ every success/ a happy birthday' etc...


I wish you every success in the future.
I saw Tim before the exam and he wished me luck.

We say 'wish somebody something' (luck /a happy birthday etc..). But you cannot 'wish that something happens'. We use hope in this situation. example of this;

I hope you get this letter before you go away. (NOT I wish you get)..




No comments:

Post a Comment