Tuesday, April 7, 2015

REMEMBER AND FORGET


These two verbs have different meanings depending on whether they are followed by a GERUND or an INFINITIVE. Even very advanced English learners sometimes make mistakes with these verbs!

Take a look at these examples with the verb FORGET:
1. I forgot posting the birthday card to my mother so I was surprised when she called me to say thank you.

2. I forgot to post the birthday card to my mother so I apologised on the telephone when I called to wish her Happy Birthday.
In sentence 1, with FORGOT + GERUND, the actions happened in this order: First, I posted the birthday card but then second, I forgot that I had done it. So my mother received the card because I had posted it.
In sentence 2, with FORGOT + INFINITIVE the actions happened in this order: First, I forgot and second, I did not post the birthday card. So mother did not receive it on her birthday. 
 
The verb REMEMBER has the same grammar, as you can see here:
3. I remember telling him about the meeting, so I am surprised that he did not attend.
4. I’m glad I remembered to tell him about the meeting because it was important for him to attend.
In sentence 3, with REMEMBER + GERUND, it happened in this order: First, I told him about the meeting and then second, I remembered that I had done it.
In sentence 4, with REMEMBER + INFINITIVE, the order was as follows: First I remembered and second, I told him about the meeting. 


So this is the grammar rule:

REMEMBER/FORGET + GERUND means THE GERUND ACTION HAPPENS FIRST.
REMEMBER/FORGET + INFINITIVE means THE INFINTIVE ACTION HAPPENS SECOND.

No comments:

Post a Comment