Thursday, September 3, 2015

WISHES

The verb to wish is used with the unreal past when we want to talk about situations in the present that we are not happy about but cannot change.
EXAMPLES
  • I wish I had more money.
  • She wishes she was beautiful.
  • We wish we could come to your party.
When we want to talk about situations in the past that we are not happy about or actions that we regret, we use the verb to wish followed by the past perfect.
EXAMPLES
  • I wish I hadn't said that.
  • He wishes he hadn't bought the car.
  • I wish I had taken that job in New York.
When we want to talk about situations we are not happy about and where we want someone else to change them, we use to wish followed by would + infinitive.
EXAMPLES
  • I wish he would stop smoking.
  • I wish you would go away.
  • I wish you wouldn't squeeze the toothpaste from the middle!

2 comments:

  1. -I wish I were rich (it means I want to be rich but I am poor).
    -I wish I didn´t buy that old car. ( I regret about having bought it).

    ReplyDelete
  2. -I wish I were rich (it means I want to be rich but I am poor).
    -I wish I didn´t buy that old car. ( I regret about having bought it).

    ReplyDelete